Historic Sam Houston Schoolhouse is a one-room log building, built in 1794, is named for Sam Houston, who was the schoolmaster there in 1812. Houston was 18 when he took the job as teacher to pupils from age six to 60 during a term that begun after corn planting in the spring and lasting until harvest and cold weather in the fall. Tuition at that time was $8.00 a term, payable 1/3 in corn, 1/3 in calico and 1/3 in cash.
The schoolhouse was constructed on Revolutionary War veteran Andrew Kennedy’s land by Kennedy, Henry McCulloch, the school’s first teacher, and neighbors. It is built of hand-hewn poplar logs, typical of “field” schools of the 1700′s. Window apertures (like horizontal shutters) are cleverly converted into desks. The 7-foot ceiling hovers over hewn log seats. The schoolhouse is located on a slight rise, just above a free-flowing spring, and shaded by an oak tree. After the oak tree fell in a storm, the stump was carved in the likeness of Sam Houston.
In the one hundred fifty-one years before its purchase by the state in 1945, the schoolhouse had a varied life. It served as school, church, and tenant house. The structure is now a Tennessee Historic Site and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The care of the schoolhouse is entrusted to an eighteen-member board of directors, The Sam Houston Memorial Association.
Come and visit us at the schoolhouse and learn the inspiring story of this man of honor and his one-room school.
“This project is funded under an agreement with the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Tennessee Historical Commission, a Tennessee Historical Commission State-Owned Historic Site.”
For more information please call the schoolhouse at 865-983-1550